Monday, July 16, 2012

Puppy Love

Did you know that I love animals? I know a lot of people love animals and do their part to help them, but I seriously love animals so much that I can't even volunteer at an animal shelter because it literally breaks my heart into a million pieces to see their sad faces knowing that they might not make it to the next week alive. So much sadness.

Fun fact: My dream job is to be the CFO of an animal rescue organization such as the ASPCA. So help me, I would find the money to save every single creature I encounter!

I've been known to cry pretty much every time someone loses a pet, whether or not I know them or the pet, I just cry because it's sad to know the heartache they must be feeling.
Short story: One time my sister was telling me about how her husband killed some ants. They were on a log so he set it in a fire and got it really hot so they had to jump off. But when they did they landed in the fire and died. I cried. I didn't cry because he killed the ants, ants are little devils and I kill them when necessary. It was just really cruel to torture them when they couldn't defend themselves.
I actually don't even consider ants an animal. They aren't, they're insects. But the thing that makes me feel so much compassion for animals is their inability to defend or speak for themselves in most situations. So that's why the ant story made me sad.

I have two cats myself. Batman and Captain Morgan. They are pretty much the quirkiest cats I've ever encountered and I never get bored with them. It will be a rough time for me when my fur babies pass away.

Last week, in Ireland, the city council put a dog to sleep because it was a "pit-bull terrier type". The dog had never been in any kind of trouble or anything, someone just saw it, thought it looked like a pit bull (which is illegal in Ireland) so they took it away from the owners. I've heard that DNA tests showed ZERO signs of pit bull heritage. None. Turns out it was an American bulldog-Labrador mix. So anyways, the owners started a campaign, gained worldwide attention and support to save the dog, and the city council says its too dangerous. A human rights activist flew to Ireland and offered to bring the dog back to the United States at NO COST to the city council. They declined and killed the dog anyways.

Reading about this puppy outraged me in ways I cannot even explain. For starters, the dog was held by the city council for TWO YEARS before they finally put it to sleep. Can you imagine how it felt, all alone with no more love and attention from it's owners? It breaks my heart just to think about it. Secondly, the city council had the opportunity to get the dog out of the country, at no cost or inconvenience to them, and avoid the devastation all together. But for some reason those animal hating bastards still felt like it was a better choice to kill the dog. This, in my book, is the same thing as animal cruelty. Isn't that illegal?

I will never understand how a person cannot love animals. How often do you meet a person who loves you unconditionally, without judgement, 100% of the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment